Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bedside Tables from Bookcases

Last month, Mr C and I went to an estate sale and found several great items that would work in our son's house.  As you know, I have been working on Tom's bedroom.  We found two bookcases and the tops could be removed. The lower part of the bookcases are the perfect height for bedside tables.  Here is a "before" photo of the bedside tables and their tops.







Mr C and I love the design on the drawers.


So, I went to work on the bedside tables.  I did the usual sanding, priming, and painting two coats of base paint on the body and the drawers of the tables.  I used a walnut stain on the top of the tables.
Then, I proceeded to distress the drawers with the electric sander and with "Old School" hand sanding.  I added glaze and finished with a semi-gloss polycrylic top coat on the body and the drawers and a satin finish of  polyurethane on the top of the bedside tables.  I sprayed "ORB" on the hardware.

Here is peak.


Another close look.


A final close up look.



Now a look at one of the finished tables.



After noticing how several people in blog land uses drop cloths for curtains, I thought, what a great price for a great look! So, I used drop cloths for curtains in Tom's bedroom. I bleached, washed, and ironed the drop cloths.  I spayed painted the existing curtain hardware with "ORB".  I purchased curtain clip rings from Lowes. Mr C hung the hardware at the top of the ceiling. I love the look of curtains hanging from the ceiling.  I think it adds great eye design to a room.

I found lamps for the bedside tables at the Homegoods Store in Dallas.  Do I Love and I mean LOVE the Homegoods Store? (wish OKC would get one)  Great price for the lamps.  In fact, while I was in the checkout line, I was wondering if Tom would like the lamps. A young man Tom's age asked the price of the lamps and said he like them.  Hoo Woo!! (The young man made my day by easing my doubts.)


Without further delay, here is a full look of  the bedside tables.




A look at the table on the other side of the bed.

The photos do not show the true color of the tables.
Now, a look at the whole bed side of the room.

What do you think of the room, so far?

I have some more ideas for the bedroom. There is a corner that needs two chairs and a small table. (I have to paint the table. It is sitting in the garage) Also, more accessories are needed for this room.  I have been searching different blogs for wall covering ideas! You, Bloggers are so talented!

I love your comments!  Please share your thoughts with me:) I look forward to having you follow me on my journey!

Have a great week!

Wanda





1 comment:

  1. I hope you are ok!! I heard some tornadoes were really close to OKC! We are about an hour or two away from the storms now. Hoping they weaken...

    Love your tables by the way! They turned out beautiful!! Kristen

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments! Tell me what you think!